11.01.2009

Save yourself the trouble

(Picture from Cooking with Paula Deen magazine)
My parents threw a party at the end of the summer and asked me to bring something to pass. I thought that a dessert would be a good idea because I assumed no one else would bring a dessert and it would be a good chance for me to try something new.

Instead of going to the usual foodnetwork.com or cooking light magazine for ideas, I went for Cooking with Paula Deen! I found a recipe for white peach crumble. I thought it was going to be like a wonderful sizzling apple cobber - but it wasn't......and it was a lot of work.

White Peach Crumble

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbs brown sugar - I recommended using quite a bit more
2 Tbs cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 Tbs sliced almonds
4 white peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced - This part is the real problem in this recipe. It takes a lot of patients to peal, pit, and slice a bunch of peaches. It was suggested that I use canned peaches...I think it's worth a try :-) (yes you can substitute with yellow peaches)
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange zest
Vanilla ice cream

  • In a small bowl combine flour and brown sugar
  • Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixtures is crumbly
  • Stir in almonds
  • In a medium saucepan, combine peaches, sugar, and salt
  • Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until peaches are tender
  • Remove from heat and stir in vanilla orange zest
  • Pour peach mixture into a small baking dish
  • Sprinkle flour mixture evenly over top and bake for 20 min or until crumble is bubbly and browned - it doesn't say how hot, but I had the oven at 350
  • Serve warm with vanilla ice cream
This recipe only serves 2 people, so for the party I had to multiply it a few times. I bought enough for about 2 large peaches per person. This ended up being way too much! We ate this peach crumble for days.
One tip though if you do end up making a lot. Keep the dry crumble part in a Ziploc bag and keep the peaches in a Tupperware container. Then, right before you eat dinner you just throw some peaches in a small Pyrex dish, sprinkle some crumble on top, and put it in the oven. By the time you are done with dinner, your dessert will be ready!

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites! You will have to make it for me some time (since I cannot make anything for myself, haha)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, can't believe I missed that! Looks amazing Steph!

    ReplyDelete